Finally a MOOC on this…Assessment and Teaching of 21st Century Skills by Esther Care, Patrick Griffin – have started this course with lots of interest so far. #ATC21S
Confirms that PISA will be testing collaborative problem solving in 2015.
What are some of the difference in pedagogies from 20th Century to 21st Century
- Critical thinking
- Active learning
- Problem solving skills
- Communicating, making connections,creating and expressing oneself in a variety of ways
- Contextualized knowledge.
- Integrated curriculum
Rethinking Learning: The 21st Century Learner | MacArthur Foundation
What Are 21st-Century Skills?
Learning to collaborate with others and connect through technology are essential skills in a knowledge-based economy.
ATC21S started with a group of more than 250 researchers across 60 institutions worldwide who categorized 21st-century skills internationally into four broad categories:
- Ways of thinking. Creativity, critical thinking, problem-solving, decision-making and learning
- Ways of working. Communication and collaboration
- Tools for working. Information and communications technology (ICT) and information literacy
- Skills for living in the world. Citizenship, life and career, and personal and social responsibility
Putting Concepts Into Practice
The ATC21S project has now moved from conceptual to practical, working with two skills that span all four categories:
- Collaborative problem-solving. Working together to solve a common challenge, which involves the contribution and exchange of ideas, knowledge or resources to achieve the goal.
- ICT literacy — learning in digital networks. Learning through digital means, such as social networking, ICT literacy, technological awareness and simulation. Each of these elements enables individuals to function in social networks and contribute to the development of social and intellectual capital. http://atc21s.org/index.php/about/what-are-21st-century-skills/